Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Final Assignment: Blogging as a tool for learning

    This class has truly been a unique experience not only because it opened up new perspectives in looking at language learning through a skeptical view of language planning and policy, but also it used a rather unique and cyber-age way of interaction in an MA /PhD class.  That  cyber-age method of interaction is none other than the use of blogs.  Blogs are often used as a sort of personal diary or a way to express one's thoughts or opinions to be seen by many if not multitudes of other bloggers not just in a locale but also in other parts of the world. For my part, I felt that the blogs are a meaningful way of doing my assignments (i.e. summarizing what I've read then finding parallel personal experience that would fit with the gist of what I've read).  It becomes more meaningful because with the blog, I'll be expecting a wide variety of audience (those who care to read the blog-- anyway, since the beginning, the blogs have always been for public viewing).  It is also very helpful that our professor, Dr. Bea Lorente, invited other experts in the field of language planning and policy, to look into our blogs and give comments and suggestions.  The suggestions and the comments by Dr. Ruanni Tupas for example have been an inspiration (and perspiration!) for me and perhaps also for my three other classmates.  And practically speaking, these blogs have enabled the course to work despite the physical distance that separates us students from our professor who works at Singapore.  This way of class interaction through blogs will enable this kind of setting (Professors abroad teaching students locally) to work.
      The course has successfully opened a new view for me towards language policy in the Philippines.  What was unknown to me for years, ever since I started my journey as an English teacher is now solidified into perspectives and viewpoints that will help me decide and act, even from the grassroots level, to help students learn language skills in a more humane and non-hegemonic or imperiallistic way.  The views of Doronila about not looking at language in shaping language policy, the deconstruction of world Englishes by Pennycook, the eye openers for the Philippine context by Tupas, Ricento and Horberger, the views of Skuttnab-Kangas and Phillipson, the researches by Lin, Martin, Farell & Tan, and the ethnographic research and language planning through the grassroots by Canagarajah, have all been helpful, not in arming me with others' ideas, but with confusing me and making me a person who questions things.  I think that is one big thing that I learned from this course.
    Lastly, with the trip to Singapore, and with the mentoring of our friends and professors, Dr. Lorente, Dr. Tupas, and soon to be Drs. Canilao and Cruz, also my classmate Heidi, my love for research has never been more strong.  They made me realize that there are alot of things that need solving and answering in this world.  I hope the next batch of ELL 312 students will similarly find this course as very engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment